Hello

Firstly, great work. I always thought SCons was the way to go for
NumPy and SciPy, and you've pulled it off.

> So basically, I believe most of the things planned in
> http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/wiki/DistutilsRevamp are now
> available because they are available in scons, if numpy developers
> decide to follow the scons route. Before being usable, I need to finish
> fortran support and blas/lapack/atlas detection: once this is done,
> numpy should be able to support some platforms not supported yet (intel
> compiler on windows, sun compiler with performance libraries, etc...),
> which was the reason I started this work in the first place.

I don't think you should make the autodetection of BLAS and LAPACK too
auto. A .cfg file like mpi4py's mpi.cfg (almost like NumPy's site.cfg,
but simpler) would be great. This way, you can provide a few default
build configurations for common platforms, but still make it easy for
people to configure their build exactly the way they want it, if they
so choose.

Cheers,

Albert