On Monday 14 July 2008 14:17:18 Francesc Alted wrote:
> Well, what we are after is precisely this: a new dtype type.  After
> integrating it in NumPy, I suppose that your DateArray would be similar
> than a NumPy array with a dtype ``datetime64`` (bar the conceptual
> differences between your 'frequency' behind DateArray and
> the 'resolution' behind the datetime64 dtype).

Well, you're losing me on this one: could you explain the difference between
the two concepts ? It might only be a problem of vocabulary...

> It would start when the origin tells that it should start.  It is
> important to note that our proposal will not force a '7d' (seven
> days) 'tick' to start on monday, or a '1m' (one month) to start the 1st
> day of a calendar month, but rather where the user decides to set its
> origin.

OK, so we need 2 flags, one for the resolution, one for the origin. Because
there won't be that many resolution possible, an int8 should be sufficient.
What do you have in mind for the origin ? When using a resolution coarser
than 1d (7d, 1m, 3m, 1a), an origin in day is OK. What about less than a
day ?