Hello,

I am trying to use xml-rpc to be able to run some simulations remotely. I am running into a problem with the transfer of numpy arrays. my server code looks like:

#!/usr/bin/env python
def again(x):  # test out the sending of data
    return [x,x]

from SimpleXMLRPCServer import SimpleXMLRPCServer
SimpleXMLRPCServer.allow_reuse_address = 1

server = SimpleXMLRPCServer(("", 8000))

server.register_function(again)
try:
    print "Serving..."
    server.serve_forever() # Start the server
finally:
    print "done."
    server.server_close()

my client code looks like:

import numpy
from xmlrpclib import ServerProxy
server=ServerProxy('http://localhost:8000')
server.again(5)  # this works

b=numpy.random.rand(5,5)

server.again(b)  # this gives an error

this gives the error: <type 'exceptions.TypeError'>: cannot marshal <type 'numpy.ndarray'> objects

which seems to be a deficiency of the marshal library, or perhaps I am doing something wrong. Is there a way to fix this? Is there another approach that I should be using?

                thanks,

                        Brian Blais

--
Brian Blais