On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 8:52 PM, Eloi Gaudry <e...@fft.be> wrote:

> Well, I wasn't aware of Microsoft willing to giving up the whole
> SxS/manifest thing. Is there any MSDN information available?

I have seen this mentioned for the first time on the python-dev ML:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/python-dev/3764855

The mention of including the version in the dll file, if true, is
tragically comic. Maybe in 20 years windows will be able to have a
system which exists for more than a decade on conventional unix... The
link given by M.A Lemburg has changed since, though, as the
description is nowhere to be found in the link. I think I have read
that VS 2010 will never install the runtime in the SxS configuration,
but I of course cannot find this information anymore. Maybe it is not
true anymore, VS 2010 has not yet been released.

You can also find useful manifest troubleshooting information there:

http://blogs.msdn.com/junfeng/archive/2006/04/14/576314.aspx

cheers,

David