On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 11:07 AM, Robert Kern <robert.k...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 11:00, Gökhan Sever <gokhanse...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > One interesting thing I have noticed while installing the numpy from the
> > source is that numpy dependent libraries must be re-installed and this
> must
> > be a clean re-install. For instance I can't import some matplotlib and
> scipy
> > modules without making a fresh installation for these packages. My
> attempts
> > result with a runtime error.
>
> Please, please, always copy-and-paste the traceback when reporting an
> error. I know you aren't formally reporting a bug here, but it always
> helps.
>
> > Could someone clarify this point? Is this due
> > to API change in the numpy core?
>
> Cython/Pyrex code does a runtime check on the struct sizes of types.
> We have carefully added a member to the PyArrayDescr struct; i.e. it
> shouldn't cause any actual problems, but Cython does the check
> anyways. This affects a few modules in scipy, but shouldn't have
> affected anything in matplotlib. The traceback may help us identify
> the issue you are seeing.

It is too late for the tracebacks. I have already removed the problematic
packages and did clean installs. However, next time I will be more careful
while reporting such issues. If it helps, in both matplotlib (via ipython
-pylab) and scipy.stats import cases the runtime errors was raised due to
numpy.core.multiarray module import.

> --
> Robert Kern

> though it had an underlying truth."