On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Bruce Southey <bsout...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  On 05/27/2010 10:40 AM, Vincent Davis wrote:
> Can you give an example of what you are trying to do?

arr = np.array([(1,'a'),(2,'b')], dtype =[(num,int),(str, |s2)]

No supposed I want to know if I can sum the values in 'num'. I could just
try and then handle the exemption, but I would like to do something more
like

for col in arr.dtypes.names:
    if arr[col] "is a number":
        sum(arr[col])

I think i can use Roberts suggestion, I was not aware of np.number, I guess
I need to look into the hierarchy more.

The dtypes have a hierarchy.

> In [2]: np.issubdtype(float, np.number)
> Out[2]: True
>
> In [3]: np.issubdtype(str, np.number)
> Out[3]: False
>
> --
> Robert Kern

Thanks
Vincent

> If some of your string arrays only have string representations of numbers
> that you want to do the math on then you have to attempt to convert those
> arrays into a numeric dtype (probably float) using for example asarray().
>
> Bruce

> array([ 1.,  2.,  3.])
> array([ 1.,  2.,  3.])
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>   File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/numpy/core/numeric.py", line
> 284, in asarray
>     return array(a, dtype, copy=False, order=order)
> ValueError: invalid literal for float(): a
> ...     np.asarray(d,dtype=float)
> ... except:
> ...     print 'fail'
> fail