On Sep 29, 2010, at 11:01 PM, Gökhan Sever wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Consider these two simple masked arrays:
>
> I[188]: a = np.ma.masked_equal([1,2,3], value=2)
>
> I[189]: b = np.ma.masked_equal([4,3,2], value=2)
>
> An operation like this voids the mask:
>
> I[190]: np.append(a,b)
> O[190]:
> masked_array(data = [1 2 3 4 3 2],
>             mask = False,
>       fill_value = 999999)

You're using a standard numpy function on a masked array. It's hardly
surprising that you run into some issues. You should use the np.ma equivalent.
Except of course that the equivalent doesn't exist yet... Please open a ticket.

In the mean time, do it manually:
* combining the .data of each item (masked array) of your list is
straightforward
* repeat for the masks. I advise you to use the getmaskarray function to get
the mask of each item, otherwise you may get a `nomask` in the middle which
will complicate things
* combine the the two results in a new masked array.