On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 7:39 AM, Matthew Brett <matthew.br...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 9:32 PM, Pearu Peterson
> <pearu.peter...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Would it be possible to setup a signing system where anyone who would
> like
> > to support Clint could sign and advertise the system on relevant mailing
> > lists?
> > This would provide larger body of supporters for this letter and perhaps
> > will have greater impact to whom the letter will be
> > addressed. Personally, I would be happy to sign to such a letter.
> >
> > On the letter: the letter should also mention scipy community as they
> > benefit
> > most from the ATLAS speed.
>
> Maybe it would be best phrased then as 'numpy and scipy developers'
> instead of the steering group?
>
> I'm not sure how this kind of thing works for tenure letters, I would
> guess that if there are a very large number of signatures it might be
> difficult to see who is being represented...  I'm open to suggestions.
>  I can also ask Clint.
>
> I've added you as an editor - would you consider adding your name at
> the end, and maybe something about scipy? - you know the scipy blas /
> lapack stuff much better than I do.

Done for adding the name. The document is currently numpy oriented and I am
not sure where to enter with scipy..

Technical summary of the situation with scipy blas/lapack stuff:
The main difference in between numpy and scipy lapack-wise is that numpy has
a lite C version of few lapack routines in case the lapack libraries are not
available for building it while for scipy the lapack libraries are
prerequisites as scipy provides interfaces to a much larger number of lapack
routines. Having ATLAS in addition would greatly increase the performance of
these routines.

Pearu