On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 9:10 PM, Benjamin Root <ben.r...@ou.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 9:29 PM, Olivier Delalleau <sh...@keba.be> wrote:

>>> Well apparently it was actually changed recently, since in Numpy 1.5.1 on
>>> a Windows 32 bit machine, they are considered equal with '=='.
>>> Personally I think if the string representation of two dtypes is "int32",
>>> then they should be ==, otherwise it wouldn't make much sense given that you
>>> can directly test the equality of a dtype with a string like "int32" (like
>>> dtype('i') == "int32" and dtype('l') == "int32").
>>>

>> I also just checked on a fresh install of numpy 1.6.0 on python 3.2, and
>> both types are equal as well.
>>

> Are you talking about the release of 1.6, or the continued development
> branch?  This is happening to me on the master branch, but I have not tried
> earlier versions.  Again, I think this bolsters the evidence that this is
> from a (very) recent change.
>

>> I've been playing quite a bit with numpy dtypes and it's the first time I
>> hear two dtypes representing the exact same kind of data do not compare
>> equal, so I'm still enclined to believe it should be considered a bug.
>>

> Quite honestly, I really don't care that the dtypes aren't equal.  I
> usually work at a purely python level and performing actions based on types
> is generally bad practice anyway.  Anytime that I (rarely) check types, I
> would use isinstance() against one of the core numerical types rather than a
> numpy type.  The fact that I even found this issue was completely by
> accident while investigating a test failure in larry.
>
> What concerns me more is that the type coming from the ufunc is not the
> same type that went in, or even requested through the dtype argument.  I
> think *that* should be the main concern here, and should probably be tested
> for in the unit tests.

To be a bit more explicit:

In [3]: np.sum([1, 2, 3], dtype='q').dtype.char
Out[3]: 'l'

In [4]: np.sum([1, 2, 3], dtype='l').dtype.char
Out[4]: 'l'

Note that there were previous oddities, for instance the returned type for a
+ b would not necessarily be the same as for b + a, even though the
precisions would be the same.

Chuck