On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 11:55 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.br...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Ralf Gommers
> <ralf.gomm...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 11:36 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.br...@gmail.com
> >
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,

> Nathaniel

> going

> can

> https://github.com/numpy/numpy/blob/master/doc/neps/missing-data.rst

> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.numeric.general/46544/match=ignored

> easier

> read.

> >> Oops - 10 minute rule.  Now I see that you mean that you can't
> >> experiment with the alternative implementation without working code.
> >
> > Indeed.
> >

> >> That's true, but I am hoping that the difference between - say:
> >>
> >> a[0:2] = np.NA
> >>
> >> and
> >>
> >> a.mask[0:2] = False
> >>
> >> would be easy enough to imagine.
> >
> > It is in this case. I agree the explicit ``a.mask`` is clearer. This is a
> > quite specific point that could be improved in the current
> implementation.
>
> Thanks - this is helpful.

So was your example.

> > It doesn't require ripping everything out.
>
> Nathaniel wasn't proposing 'ripping everything out' - but backing off
> until consensus has been reached.  That's different.

I'm worried that in practice it won't be different. If you put such a large
amount of code in a branch, with no one lined up to work on
changing/improving/re-integrating it, the most likely thing to happen is
that it will just sit there in a branch, bitrot and eventually be lost.

> If you think we should not do that, and you are interested, please say why.
> Second - I was proposing that we do indeed keep the code in the
> codebase but discuss adaptations that could achieve consensus.

Glad to hear it. This is not what I understood from the email you linked to
earlier. Quoting: "Honestly, I think that NA should be a synonym for
ABSENT, and so should be removed until the dust has settled, and restored
as (np.NA == np.ABSENT)".

At this point I care much more about having a good implementation than
exactly which one; the similarities are much more important the
differences. My main worry is we end up with nothing.

As for the current situation and way forward, Eric Firing provided a much
better summary and list of important points than I managed to communicate
so far. I agree with everything he said.

Cheers,
Ralf