On 2012-02-16, at 1:28 PM, Charles R Harris wrote:

> I think this is a good point, which is why the idea of a long term release is
> appealing. That release should be stodgy and safe, while the ongoing
> development can be much more radical in making changes.

I sort of thought this *was* the state of affairs re: NumPy 2.0.

> And numpy really does need a fairly radical rewrite, just to clarify and
> simplify the base code easier if nothing else. New features I'm more leery
> about, at least until the code base is improved, which would be my short term
> priority.

As someone who has now thrice ventured into the NumPy C code (twice to add
features, once to fix a nasty bug I encountered) I simply could not agree more.
While it's not a completely hopeless exercise for someone comfortable with C to
get themselves acquainted with NumPy's C internals, the code base as is could
be simpler.

A refactoring and *documentation* effort would be a good way to get more people
contributing to this side of NumPy. I believe the suggestion of seeing more of
the C moved to Cython has also been floated before.

David