On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 2:14 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 9:06 AM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
> <d.s.seljeb...@astro.uio.no> wrote:
>> On 02/18/2012 08:52 AM, Benjamin Root wrote:
>>>

>>> On Saturday, February 18, 2012, Sturla Molden wrote:
>>>

>>>     Den 18. feb. 2012 kl. 17:12 skrev Alan G Isaac <alan.is...@gmail.com
>>>     <javascript:;>>:
>>>
>>>      >
>>>      >
>>>      > How does "stream-lined" code written for maintainability
>>>      > (i.e., with helpful comments and tests) become *less*
>>>      > accessible to amateurs??
>>>

>>>     I think you missed the irony.
>>>
>>>     Sturla
>>>

>>> Took me couple reads.  Must be too early in the morning for me.
>>>
>>> For those who needs a clue, the last few lines seem to suggest that the
>>> only way forward is to relicense numpy so that it could be sold.  This
>>> is obviously ridiculous and a give-away to the fact that everything else
>>> in the email was sarcastic.
>>
>> No, it was a quotation from Travis' blog:
>>
>> http://technicaldiscovery.blogspot.com/
>
> Took me a couple of reads too.  But I understand now, I think.  I
> think Josef was indeed being ironic, and using the quote as part of
> the irony.
>
>> (I think people should just get a grip on themselves...worst case
>> scenario *ever* (and I highly doubt it) is a fork, and even that may
>> well be better than the status quo)
>
> This is nicely put, but very depressing.  You say:
>
> "people should just get a grip on themselves"
>
> and we might also say:
>
> "shut up and stop whining".
>
> But, an environment like that is rich food for apathy, hostility and
> paranoia.  Let's hope we're up to the challenge.
>
> Best,
>
> Matthew

I'm an economist by training.
For technical issues I completely rely on the judgement of Charles and
of David (who managed to reduce the number of installation problems on
Windows reported to the mailing lists to essentially zero).

My only contact with C++ was building quantlib and reading some source
of it, with C it's not more.

Josef
http://cppdepend.wordpress.com/2009/10/08/is-quantlib-over-engineered/