On 2/27/2012 2:28 PM, Pauli Virtanen wrote:
> ISO specifies comma to be used in international standards
> (ISO/IEC Directives, part 2 / 6.6.8.1):
>
> http://isotc.iso.org/livelink/livelink?func=ll&objId=10562502&objAction=download

I do not think you are right.
I think that is a presentational requirement:
rules of presentation for documents that
are intended to become international standards.
Note as well the requirement of spacing to
separate digits. Clearly this cannot be a data
storage specification.

Naturally, the important thing is to agree on a
standard data representation.  Which one it is
is less important, especially if conversion tools
will be supplied.

But it really is past time for the scientific community
to insist on one international standard, and the
decimal point has privilege of place because of
computing language conventions. (Being the standard
in the two largest economies in the world is a
different kind of argument in favor of this choice.)

Alan Isaac