On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 2:01 AM, Travis Oliphant <tra...@continuum.io>wrote:

> On Jul 15, 2012, at 7:08 AM, Ralf Gommers wrote:
>

> On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 12:45 AM, Travis Oliphant <tra...@continuum.io>wrote:
>

>> Hey all,
>>
>> We are nearing a code-freeze for NumPy 1.7.   Are there any last-minute
>> changes people are wanting to push into NumPy 1.7?  We should discuss them
>> as soon as possible.
>>
>> I'm proposing a code-freeze at midnight UTC on July 18th (7:00pm CDT on
>> July 17th).   This will allow the creation of beta releases of NumPy on the
>> 18th of July. This is a few days later than originally hoped for ---
>> largely due to unexpected travel schedules of Ondrej and I, but it does
>> give people a few more days to get patches in.  Of course, we will be able
>> to apply bug-fixes to the 1.7.x branch once the tag is made.
>>

> What about the tickets still open for 1.7.0 (
> http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/report/3)? There are a few important ones
> left.
>
> These I would consider blockers:
>   - #2108 Datetime failures with MinGW
>   - #2076 Bus error for F order ndarray creation on SPARC
>
> These have patches available which should be reviewed:
>   - #2150 Distutils should support Debian multi-arch fully
>   - #2179 Memmap children retain _mmap reference in all cases
>
> These blockers could certainly delay the rc1 release, but would they need
> to hold up the beta?

For the SPARC issue, not really. For the datetime issue, I think it at
least needs to be clear what the way forward is. If the issue isn't
solvable without any changes to either the API or the compiler support,
which may well be the case given the amount of effort that has gone into
this already, we need a decision on what to do.

It would also be a good idea to apply the distutils patch before the beta.

Ralf