On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 7:42 AM, Nathaniel Smith <n...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 2:38 AM, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.har...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thoughts?
>
> To be clear, what you're talking about is basically deleting these two
> packages:
>   numpy.oldnumeric
>   numpy.numarray
> plus the compatibility C API in
>   numpy/numarray/include
> ?

Yep.

> So this would only affect Python code which explicitly imported one of
> those two packages (neither is imported by default), or C code which
> did #include "numpy/numarray/..."?

Those packages were intended to be an easy path for folks to port their
numeric and numarray code to numpy. During the 2.4 discussion there was a
fellow who said his group was just now moving their code from numeric to
numpy, but I had the feeling they were rewriting it in the process.

> (I'm not even sure how you would build such a C module, these headers
> are distributed in a weird directory not accessible via
> np.get_include(). So unless your build system does some special work
> to access it, you can't even see these headers.)

Never tried it myself. There is some C code in those packages and it easy
to overlook its maintenance, so I'd like to solve the problem by nuking it.

Chuck