On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 11:21 PM, Christopher Hanley <chan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> After poking around our code base and talking to a few folks I predict that
> we at STScI can remove our dependence on the numpy-numarray compatibility
> layer by the end of this calendar year.  I'm unsure of what the timeline for
> numpy 1.8 is so I don't know if this schedule supports removal of the
> compatibility layer from 1.8 or not.

It'd be nice if 1.8 were out before that, but that doesn't really
matter -- let us know when you get it sorted?

Also, would it help if we added a big scary warning at import time to
annoy your more recalcitrant developers with? :-)

The basic issue is that none of us actually use this stuff, it has no
tests, the rest of numpy is changing around it, and we have no idea if
it works, so at some point it makes more sense for us to just stop
shipping the compat layer and let anyone who still needs it maintain
their own copy of the code.

-n