On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 8:53 AM, Stéfan van der Walt <ste...@sun.ac.za> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 2:15 AM, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal
> <chris.bar...@noaa.gov> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 6:09 AM, Pauli Virtanen <p...@iki.fi> wrote:
>>
>> > The .H property has been implemented in Numpy matrices and Scipy's
>> > sparse matrices for many years.
>>
>> Then we're done. Numpy  is an array package, NOT a matrix package, and
>> while you can implement matrix math with arrays (and we do), having
>> quick and easy mnemonics for common matrix math operations (but
>> uncommon general purpose array operations) is not eh job of numpy.
>> That's what the matrix object is for.
>
> I would argue that the ship sailed when we added .T already.  Most
> users see no difference between the addition of .T and .H.
>
> The matrix class should probably be deprecated and removed from NumPy
> in the long run--being a second class citizen not used by the
> developers themselves is not sustainable.  And, now that we have "dot"
> as a method, there's very little advantage to it.
>
> Stéfan

Maybe this is the point where one just needs to do a poll.
And finally someone has to make the decision.

I feel that adding a method
.H()
would be the compromise !

Alan, could you live with that ?

It is short enough and still emphasises the fact that it is NOT a view
and therefore behaves sensitively different in certain scenarios as .T
 .
It also leaves the door open to adding an iterator .H attribute later
on without introducing the above mentioned code breaks.

Who could make (i.e. is willing to make) the decision ?

(( I would not open the discussion about ndarray vs. matrix -- it gets
far to involving and we would be talking about far-future directions
instead of "a single letter addition", which abvious already has big
enough support and had so years ago))

Regards,
Sebastian Haase