On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 6:31 AM, William Ray Wing <w...@mac.com> wrote:

> If you will forgive an observation from a Mac user and (amateur)
> developer.  I have twice tried to build Numpy from source and both times
> failed.  The problem was that I couldn't find a single comprehensive set of
> directions that started from a virgin system (nothing but Apple's python
> and Xcode) and proceed to working copies of Numpy

This is odd -- it could build out of the box with plain old:

setup.py install

or, for that matter.

pip install.

> (and of course Matplotlib).
>
> MPL is a whole different kettle of fish -- I know most folks need more of
the "stack" than numpy, but are you sure you had trouble building numpy?

Sorry for the rant, but what I'm trying to say is that if there were such a
> recipe and it was clearly pointed to, then the need for a lengthy list of
> binaries would be pretty much moot.

Actually, numpy should be easy, but MPL. scipy, etc, -- there is no such
think as a single easy recipe -- too many versions of python, OS-X, systems
for the dependencies, etc.

sad, but true.

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov