On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 11:00 PM, Alexander Belopolsky <ndar...@mac.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 10:35 PM, <josef.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> what about np.dot,    np.dot(mask, x) which is the same as (mask *
>> x).sum(0) ?
>

> I am not sure which way your argument goes, but I don't think you would find
> the following natural:

> True

this is weird but I would never do that.  maybe I would, but then i
would add 1 non boolean

> 2
> 2

That sounds right to me
>>> (mask**2 == mask).all()
True

> 2

What is axis=False?

The way my argument goes:
I'm a heavy user of using * pretending the bool behaves like an int,
and of sum and accumulate.
It would be a pain to loose them.

>From where I come from (*) a bool is not a boolean it's just 0, 1,
given that numpy casting rules apply and it's sometimes cast back to
(0, 1)   Does this work as explanation for the pattern of + and -
also.

(*) places where the type system is more restricted.

What about max?

>>> np.maximum(mask, mask)
array([False, False, False,  True,  True], dtype=bool)
>>> np.maximum(mask, ~mask)
array([ True,  True,  True,  True,  True], dtype=bool)
>>> mask + mask
array([False, False, False,  True,  True], dtype=bool)
>>> mask + ~mask
array([ True,  True,  True,  True,  True], dtype=bool)

first mask is if the wife has a car, second mask is if the husband has a car.
The max is if there is a car in the family.

What's this as logical?

Josef