On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Alan G Isaac <alan.is...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/6/2013 1:35 PM, josef.p...@gmail.com wrote:
>> unary versus binary minus
>
> Oh right; I consider binary `-` broken for
> Boolean arrays. (Sorry Alexander; I did not
> see your entire issue.)
>

>> I'd rather write ~ than unary - if that's what it is.
>
> I agree.  So I have no objection to elimination
> of the `-`.  I see it does the subtraction and then
> a boolean conversion, which is not helpful.
> Or rather, I do not see how it can be helpful.

What I would or might find useful is if binary `-` subtracts set
membership instead of doing xor

>>> m1 = np.array([0,0,1,1], bool)
>>> m2 = np.array([0,1,0,1], bool)
>>> m1 - m2
array([False,  True,  True, False], dtype=bool)
>>> np.logical_xor(m1, m2)
array([False,  True,  True, False], dtype=bool)

>>> np.clip(m1.astype(int) - m2.astype(int), 0, 1).astype(bool)
array([False, False,  True, False], dtype=bool)
>>> np.nonzero(_)[0]
array([2])

>>> s1 = set(np.arange(4)[m1])
>>> s2 = set(np.arange(4)[m2])