On 2/24/2014 12:21 AM, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> I actually disagree strongly. I think it's very important to make
> clear that we have a clear, well thought through, and
> cross-project approach to what @ is supposed to mean

I think Paul is right.  We know `@` is supposed to mean
"matrix multiply" when dealing with conformable 2d arrays.
That is the real motivation of the PEP.  I cannot see why
the PEP itself would need to go beyond that.  The behavior
of `@` in other cases seems a discussion that should go
*much* slower than that of the core of the PEP, which is
to get an operator for matrix multiplication.

Furthermore, I am not able to understand the principles
behind the discussion of how `@` should behave in other cases.
I do not think they are being clearly stated.  (I have added
a comment to the PEP asking for clarification.)  To be
concrete, if `@` is proposed to behave unlike Mathematica's
`Dot` command, I would hope to hear a very clear
mathematical motivation for this.  (Specifically, I do not
understand why `@` would do scalar product.)

Otoh, if the proposal is just that `@` should behave just like
NumPy's `dot` does, that should be simply stated.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac