Hey,

@Josef, I wasn't aware of `bmat` and `np.asarray(np.bmat(....))` does
basically what I want and what I'm already using.

Regarding the Tetris problem: that never happened to me, but stack, as
Josef pointed out, can handle that already :)

I like the idea of removing the redundant square brackets:
    stack([[a, b], [c, d]]) --> stack([a, b], [c, d])
However, if the brackets are there there is no difference between
creating a `np.array` and stacking arrays with `np.stack`.

If we want to get fancy and turn this PR into something bigger
(working our way up to a NP-complete problem ;)) then how about this.
I sometimes have arrays that look like:
  AB0
  0 C
Where 0 is a scalar but is supposed to fill the rest of the array.
Having something like 0 in there might lead to ambiguities though. What does
  ABC
  0D0
mean? One could limit the "filler" to appear only on the left or the right:
  AB0
  0CD
But even then the shape is not completely determined. So we could
require to have one row that only consists of arrays and determines
the shape. Alternatively we could have a keyword parameter `shape`:
  stack([A, B, 0], [0, C, D], shape=(8, 8))

Colin, with `bmat` you can do what you're asking for. Directly taken
from the example:
>>> np.bmat('A,B; C,D')
matrix([[1, 1, 2, 2],
        [1, 1, 2, 2],
        [3, 4, 7, 8],
        [5, 6, 9, 0]])

General question: If `bmat` already offers something like `stack`
should we even bother implementing `stack`? More code leads to more
bugs and maintenance work.

Best,
 Stefan