On Do, 2015-08-27 at 12:34 -0700, Stefan van der Walt wrote:
> On 2015-08-27 11:06:10, Matthew Brett <matthew.br...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > So, in the spirit of fruitful discussion, can I ask what y'all
> > consider to be the current problems with working on numpy (other
> > than the technical ones).   What is numpy doing well, and what
> > is it doing badly? What risks do we have to plan for in the
> > future?
>
> It looks to me as though the team is doing an excellent job of
> maintaining NumPy.  The growth of the project has stagnated
> somewhat for numerous reasons---and a lack of ideas on the table
> is not one of them, rather whether / how to take them forward.
>
> The question, and I think what you also highlighted in the earlier
> part of this discussion, is: how to decide on which vision to
> adopt, and who takes responsibility for making that happen?
>
> Are the two models proposed thus far so different, or can they be
> merged in a way that makes sense?  E.g., can we work as a
> community to rally behind a vision as set out by one person, and
> then repeat that process to focus on another a year later?  Think
> of it as the iterative development equivalent of governance.
>
> This may just be another way of phrasing a precedency, but with a
> strong emphasis on its temporary nature, as well as a focus on a
> group-decided outcome.  Alternatively, see it as a community
> governance model with a strong emphasis on responsibility.

Agreed. Are not PEP's/NEP's just that (and could possibly be formalized
more, not sure how much they are in the current proposal) in some sense?
Since they have a sponsor/author who can be said to be assigned to
it/responsible once accepted.

I will add one more thing which I think is important:

The governance has to be create as little hassle as possible and it
should be simple/short enough to quickly understand.

- Sebastian