On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 3:43 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.har...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 10:23 PM, Nathaniel Smith <n...@pobox.com> wrote:
[...]
>> When it comes to evolving these APIs in general: one unfortunate thing
>> about the PyArrayObject changes in 1.7 is that because they were
>> implemented using *inline* functions (/macros) they haven't affected
>

> One thing we might consider along the way is separating numpy.multiarray and
> friends into an actual library plus a module. That way the new numpy api
> would be exposed in the library rather than by importing an array of
> pointers from the module.

I'm not sure whether we'll be able to pull this off at the technical
level? Partly because anything involving cross-platform linker
behavior is a recipe for unpleasantness, but mostly because doing
sliding-window API/ABI tracking requires that we have some way to
check which of multiple APIs a given third-party package is
requesting, and provide a nice error if the one they want isn't
available, and I'm not certain how to accomplish that via the regular
linker. But sure, something to look into when we reach that point :-)

-n

--
Nathaniel J. Smith -- http://vorpus.org