> Now the user is writing back to say, "my test code is fast now, but
> numpy.test() is still about three times slower than <some other server we
> don't manage>".  When I watch htop as numpy.test() executes, sure enough,
> it's using one core

* if numpy.test() is supposed to be using multiple cores, why isn't it,
> when we've established with other test code that it's now using multiple
> cores?

Some numpy.linalg functions (like np.dot) will be using multiple cores, but
np.linalg.test() takes only ~1% of the time of the full test suite.
Everything else will be running single core. So your observations are not
surprising.

Though why it would run slower on one box than another comparable box is a
mystery...

-CHB