My possibly poorly thought out API would be something like
np.add_sq_diff.set_c(42.0).reduce(x), basically add a setter method which
returned self.  Thanks for explaining what data was intended to do.  All of
this is really just a dance around the requirement that reduce only works
on binary functions.  Would there be any interest in extending reduce to
allow for arbitrary numbers of input and output arguments?