Still slower and worse uses 2x the memory for the intermediate temporary
array.

I propose allowing implicit reductions with ufuncs.  Specifically if out is
provided with shape[axis] = 1, then pass it on to the ufunc with a stride
of 0.  That should allow this to work:

x = np.arange(10)
def add_square_diff(x1, x2, x3):
    return x1 + (x2-x3)**2
result  =np.zeros(1)
np.frompyfunc(add_square_diff, 3, 1)(result, x, np.mean(x), result)

Essentially it creates a reduce for a function which isn't binary.  I think
this would be generally useful.  For instance, finding the min and max in
one pass would be nice:

def minmax(x1, x2, x3):
    return min(x1,x3), max(x2,x3)
minn = np.array([np.inf])
maxx = np.array([-np.inf])
np.frompyfunc(minmax, 3, 2)(minn, maxx, x, minn, maxx)

Note it also allows for arbitrary initial values or identity to be
specified, possibly determined at run time.  I think this would make ufuncs
even more universal.