On Mon, 8 Jul 2019, David White wrote:

However I am a bit stumped on monitoring. What I want is to execute a script when the UPS goes on battery. To do this, I think I have to have the nut-client running. Is this correct? If so I seem to have some troulbe.

You need to have nut-monitor.service running. The command

 systemctl list-unit-files | grep nut should report

 nut-driver.service                         static
 nut-monitor.service                        enabled
 nut-server.service                         enabled

plus any "delayed UPS shutdown" service you might use. nut-driver is started automatically by systemd whenever nut-server starts.

The command ps -elf | grep -E "nut|ups" should show

 1 S upsd      3096     1 ... /usr/lib/ups/driver/...
 1 S upsd      3100     1 ... /usr/sbin/upsd
 1 S root      3104     1 ... /usr/sbin/upsmon
 5 S upsd      3105  3104 ... /usr/sbin/upsmon

Roger