On Sat, 13 Mar 2021, Jim Klimov via Nut-upsuser wrote:

Hello fellow NUTs :)
  Some time ago an issue https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/840 was
raised, and with current work underway to publish a standard on NUT
protocol it became more urgent - to retire the master/slave terminology from
NUT configuration and documentation.

  I looked around for suitable synonyms, and for our primary use-case with
upsmon roles - where it either manages an UPS by direct link and tells others
to shut down ASAP, or is one of such shutdown agents being told what to do, words
"manager" and "subordinate" seem neutral enough and reflective of the
activities and relationship of these actors.

  Would native speakers or others better versed in the current dictionary of
acceptable words please confirm if this choice is okay, or suggest better
alternatives?

  The plan is to re-word the README and other documentation, as well as option
names in code (leaving old terms as aliases for the sake of existing
deployments, but otherwise not exposed).

The proposed NUT RFC, https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-rprice-ups-management-protocol/ which is currently in the Internet-Draft (I-D) stage, uses the terms "primary" and "secondary". Following IETF practice, if Jim announces « we have a consensus on issue https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/840 "master/slave" replacement », then your humble and obedient editor will record it in the I-D.

Note that the I-D has also changed "NETVER" to "PROTVER" on the grounds that it's the version of the protocol and not the version of the network that is requested.

There is no absolute imperative to align code with the I-D, which mentions the current usage.

Roger