Peter Bell <pe...@bellfamily.org.uk> writes:

> On 20/08/2024 19:18, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> People running old versions is a recurring problem for an (unrelated)
>> project that I maintain, and I've adopted a policy that bug reports may
>> only be filed against the latest formal release or the current git
>> master beyond the release.   I think ups-nut sort of has that in the
>> issue tracker, but like my other project it's ok to ask for help on the
>> list.  Still, the first answer is almost always "update to the latest
>> release, at least".

> Let's not get into distro wars - that can run for a long time!

Sure, but I am saying something much simpler:

  You are welcome to run whatever you want.  But, when people ask for
  help I expect them to either:

    first ensure they are running the latest release, or

    direct their help request to the same people that provided them with
    old software.

I find that some people who choose things like RHEL expect Free Software
projects to

  accomodate their choices, and keep allowing the use of ancient
  dependencies provided with their system.

  provide debugging support for old versions of the open source project

and that's what I'm not ok with.