Hello.
Setting up a PC will be very difficult, as this is in the top of an
elevator. I will try to get in to reset the UPS, but if a reset is a common
problem, I will need to look at other options to monitor the health of this
UPS.

I'll crawl in the elevator later today to see if I can find model
information.

$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2109:3431 VIA Labs, Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 09ae:0001 Tripp Lite TRIPP LITE UPS

$ sudo nut-scanner -U
Cannot load SNMP library (libnetsnmp.so.40) : file not found. SNMP search
disabled.
Cannot load XML library (libneon.so.27) : file not found. XML search
disabled.
Cannot load AVAHI library (libavahi-client.so.3) : file not found. AVAHI
search disabled.
Cannot load IPMI library (libfreeipmi.so.17) : file not found. IPMI search
disabled.
Scanning USB bus.
[nutdev1]
driver = "tripplite_usb"
port = "auto"
vendorid = "09AE"
productid = "0001"
product = "TRIPP LITE UPS"
vendor = "Tripp Lite"
bus = "001"
device = "003"
busport = "003"
###NOTMATCHED-YET###bcdDevice = "000A"


On Tue, Sep 22, 2026 at 5:28 AM Charles Lepple <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sep 21, 2026, at 11:01 PM, Jeff Hood via Nut-upsuser <
> [email protected]> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm running Network UPS Tools (NUT) version *2.8.1* on a Debian system
> (aarch64), trying to connect an older Tripp Lite UPS via the tripplite_usb
> driver.
>
> While nut-scanner -U successfully identifies the hardware, it flags the
> device's firmware revision with a ###NOTMATCHED-YET### notice:
>
> I don't use nut-scanner, but I think it will do that for any USB device:
> https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/blob/v2.8.1/tools/nut-scanner/scan_usb.c#L590
>
> When the driver service attempts to start, it successfully claims the USB
> endpoint but falls into an endless retry loop during the command handshake:
> libusb_get_interrupt() returned 0 instead of 8 while sending 3a 55 aa 0d
> 00 00 00 00 '.U......'
>
>
> I'd check several things:
>
> 1) Are there any other communication ports connected to the UPS? There is
> the obvious serial port, but also check for a network card - under the
> hood, most older Tripp-Lite UPSes seem to only have a single serial path to
> the controller, so you can't use more than one port at a time (and the USB
> port is just a USB-to-serial converter inside).
>
> 2) Does the problem go away if you reset the UPS? It probably needs a hard
> power-down, where you remove line power for a minute or so.
>
> 3) Does this work on a PC? I realize that setting up a PC can be a bit of
> a pain, but maybe a Live CD would be sufficient. I developed the
> tripplite_usb code on an early 2000's x86 home PC, and when Tripp-Lite came
> out with 3016 protocol devices, they were not reliable with higher-end
> server chipsets that supported USB 2.0. (That problem even manifested
> itself with non-NUT software like lsusb, but it was more evident in NUT
> since lsusb runs briefly and exits.) I'm concerned that the aarch64 USB
> support may be different yet.
>
> It would be interesting to know more about the specific Tripp-Lite model
> in question.
>
> --
> Charles Lepple
> clepple@gmail
>
_______________________________________________
Nut-upsuser mailing list
[email protected]
https://alioth-lists.debian.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/nut-upsuser

Reply via email to