good afternoon. I'm not certain the mailing list got my response, so I'll
try again.

I tested extensively with usbhid-ups, and NUT explicitly told me that I
needed to be using tripplite_usb.
the model of UPS is one of these three - I'm not yet sure which... OMNIVS800,
OMNIVS1000 &
OMNIVS1500XL

On Wed, Sep 23, 2026 at 10:44 AM Jim Klimov <[email protected]> wrote:

> Cheers,
>
>   The `###NOTMATCHED-YET###bcdDevice = "000A"` part is basically what it
> says on the tin: while some drivers (MGE/Eaton IIRC) might care about the
> number for internal decisions, and we can see it in device identification,
> no drivers have a configuration option to match it.
>
>   Another aspect is `bus`/`device`/`busport` values - they are
> enumeration-dependent, so cable re-plugs or device resets can change them -
> and they would no longer match. In some cases this is the lesser evil, in
> most you do not want to bolt them down in the configuration, so newer
> nut-scanner releases also offer them commented-away.
>
>   Just in case, did you try with other USB-capable drivers to check if
> their protocols are supported by the device (primarily usbhid-ups)?
>
> Jim
>
>
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2026 at 6:26 PM Jeff Hood via Nut-upsuser <
> [email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>> Setting up a PC will be very difficult, as this is in the top of an
>> elevator. I will try to get in to reset the UPS, but if a reset is a common
>> problem, I will need to look at other options to monitor the health of this
>> UPS.
>>
>> I'll crawl in the elevator later today to see if I can find model
>> information.
>>
>> $ lsusb
>> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
>> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2109:3431 VIA Labs, Inc. Hub
>> Bus 001 Device 003: ID 09ae:0001 Tripp Lite TRIPP LITE UPS
>>
>> $ sudo nut-scanner -U
>> Cannot load SNMP library (libnetsnmp.so.40) : file not found. SNMP search
>> disabled.
>> Cannot load XML library (libneon.so.27) : file not found. XML search
>> disabled.
>> Cannot load AVAHI library (libavahi-client.so.3) : file not found. AVAHI
>> search disabled.
>> Cannot load IPMI library (libfreeipmi.so.17) : file not found. IPMI
>> search disabled.
>> Scanning USB bus.
>> [nutdev1]
>> driver = "tripplite_usb"
>> port = "auto"
>> vendorid = "09AE"
>> productid = "0001"
>> product = "TRIPP LITE UPS"
>> vendor = "Tripp Lite"
>> bus = "001"
>> device = "003"
>> busport = "003"
>> ###NOTMATCHED-YET###bcdDevice = "000A"
>>
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 22, 2026 at 5:28 AM Charles Lepple <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> On Sep 21, 2026, at 11:01 PM, Jeff Hood via Nut-upsuser <
>>> [email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I'm running Network UPS Tools (NUT) version *2.8.1* on a Debian system
>>> (aarch64), trying to connect an older Tripp Lite UPS via the
>>> tripplite_usb driver.
>>>
>>> While nut-scanner -U successfully identifies the hardware, it flags the
>>> device's firmware revision with a ###NOTMATCHED-YET### notice:
>>>
>>> I don't use nut-scanner, but I think it will do that for any USB device:
>>> https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/blob/v2.8.1/tools/nut-scanner/scan_usb.c#L590
>>>
>>> When the driver service attempts to start, it successfully claims the
>>> USB endpoint but falls into an endless retry loop during the command
>>> handshake:
>>> libusb_get_interrupt() returned 0 instead of 8 while sending 3a 55 aa 0d
>>> 00 00 00 00 '.U......'
>>>
>>>
>>> I'd check several things:
>>>
>>> 1) Are there any other communication ports connected to the UPS? There
>>> is the obvious serial port, but also check for a network card - under the
>>> hood, most older Tripp-Lite UPSes seem to only have a single serial path to
>>> the controller, so you can't use more than one port at a time (and the USB
>>> port is just a USB-to-serial converter inside).
>>>
>>> 2) Does the problem go away if you reset the UPS? It probably needs a
>>> hard power-down, where you remove line power for a minute or so.
>>>
>>> 3) Does this work on a PC? I realize that setting up a PC can be a bit
>>> of a pain, but maybe a Live CD would be sufficient. I developed the
>>> tripplite_usb code on an early 2000's x86 home PC, and when Tripp-Lite came
>>> out with 3016 protocol devices, they were not reliable with higher-end
>>> server chipsets that supported USB 2.0. (That problem even manifested
>>> itself with non-NUT software like lsusb, but it was more evident in NUT
>>> since lsusb runs briefly and exits.) I'm concerned that the aarch64 USB
>>> support may be different yet.
>>>
>>> It would be interesting to know more about the specific Tripp-Lite model
>>> in question.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charles Lepple
>>> clepple@gmail
>>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Nut-upsuser mailing list
>> [email protected]
>> https://alioth-lists.debian.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/nut-upsuser
>>
>
_______________________________________________
Nut-upsuser mailing list
[email protected]
https://alioth-lists.debian.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/nut-upsuser

Reply via email to