Hi all,

I know it's a trivial issue, but still ... When this release is out, I propose that we should name the next release 1.0.0, and not 0.10.0. The effect is purely psychological, but it also reflects our confidence in the platform.

Many Open Source projects are afraid of going to 1.0.0 and seem to be unable to ever reach this level, as if it were a magic step beyond which they are obliged to make some implied but unjustified promises ... Perhaps it's because in the commercial world everyone knows what a 1.0.0 release means :) The downside of the version numbering that never reaches 1.0.0 is that casual users don't know how usable the software is - e.g. Nutch 0.10.0 could possibly mean that there are still 90 releases to go before it becomes usable.

Therefore I propose the following:

* shorten the release cycle, so that we can make a release at least once every quarter. This was discussed before, and I hope we can make it happen, especially with the help of new forces that joined the team ;)

* call the next version 1.0.0, and continue in increments of 0.1.0 for each bi-monhtly or quarterly release,

* make critical bugfix / maintenance releases using increments of 0.0.1 - although the need for such would be greatly diminished with the shorter release cycle.

* once we arrive at versions greater than x.5.0 we should plan for a big release (increment of 1.0.0).

* we should use only single digits for small increments, i.e. limit them to values between 0-9.

What do you think?

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><