Hi Bill,

this starts the process as root?
That shouldn't be necessary.

One recommended way is to run tomcat as a daemon  using jsvc,
see
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/setup.html

Works fine for me.

Cheers
Karsten

Bill Goffe wrote:
Last month I mentioned that I was having problems with script that would
start Nutch. The script (below) works fine once the machine is up, but it
doesn't start up Nutch on a reboot (just now tested this as it is a remote
machine). The script is in /etc/init.d and there are links to it from
/etc/rc?d. I've read that a common problem is not having all the
environment variables you need, (I looked at the results of env when
logged on a regular user). Any ideas? FWIW, I'm running Debian etch.