Nigel Ballard wrote:
> Add staff, marketing, the kickback to Starbucks, IBM Global Services,
> Insurance, marketing etc.  It starts to look like a very ugly business
> model.

If you see the public hotspot wifi as a separate business, the best
model to cover the costs is to make a big old telco hide it in its
gigantic balance sheet.  The telco pays the wifi losses and gets the
prestige of "the wireless Internet of the future" in return.  That's
why T-Mobile owns it, if you ask me (and Telia-Sonera in Sweden and
Finland).

The most affordable way to do public hotspot wifi is to use DSL or
cable access at cost level (i.e. below the price of residential
broadband, which is already far below the price of business
broadband), something only incumbent telcos or cable-TV companies can
do with their own cables.  That's what Verizon started to do in
Manhattan pay phones.  How did that go?

--
  Lars Aronsson ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Aronsson Datateknik - http://aronsson.se/