-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Lars
Aronsson
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004 1:28 PM
To: Nigel Ballard
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; 'jon baer'
Subject: RE: [nycwireless] T-Mobile brings in $13 bucks a day

Nigel Ballard wrote:
> Add staff, marketing, the kickback to Starbucks, IBM Global Services,
> Insurance, marketing etc.  It starts to look like a very ugly business
> model.

If you see the public hotspot wifi as a separate business, the best model to
cover the costs is to make a big old telco hide it in its gigantic balance
sheet.  The telco pays the wifi losses and gets the prestige of "the
wireless Internet of the future" in return.  That's why T-Mobile owns it, if
you ask me (and Telia-Sonera in Sweden and Finland).

The most affordable way to do public hotspot wifi is to use DSL or cable
access at cost level (i.e. below the price of residential broadband, which
is already far below the price of business broadband), something only
incumbent telcos or cable-TV companies can do with their own cables.  That's
what Verizon started to do in Manhattan pay phones.  How did that go?

--
  Lars Aronsson ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Aronsson Datateknik - http://aronsson.se/