On Apr 15, 2004, at 6:53 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Many Wi-Fi companies employ diversity in their receivers.

none do per-packet diversity in the OFDM modes. e.g. "show me".

Co-Phasing alone?

* How would you cancel the phase distortion?

For 802.11? I wouldn't.

* How would you deal with avoidance separation?

distributed CCA.

Simply "Co-phasing" antennas does equate to a smart antenna.

I didn't say it did. I (basically) said that you had the beginnings of a smart antenna system. e.g. "You're into smart antenna land."

Smart antennas employ beam forming, beam switching and selection diversity.
Diversity is a system which employs co-phasing as well other techniques.

Well, there is no "co-phasing" in switched diversity, which is what you were describing.

Jim Thompson wrote:

Note that with 802.11g or 802.11a, this gets "difficult", since there
isn't a lot of time to switch back and forth between
the two antennas.   One could build a parallel receiver, but then you
might as well co-phase and add the two antennas together, and then
you're into "smart" antenna-land (and its expensive).