Jim Thompson wrote:

> On Apr 15, 2004, at 6:53 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Many Wi-Fi companies employ diversity in their receivers.
>
> none do per-packet diversity in the OFDM modes.  e.g. "show me".

Who said they did "per-packet diversity"in the OFDM" ?
However, the SureFyre  802.11a uses "per-packet diversity".
Key features of the SureFyre 802.11a system solution include:
<SNIP>

Per packet antenna diversity selection delivers up to 10 dB gain in
sensitivity
in multipath environments;
e.g. You have been shown............

> > Co-Phasing alone?
> >
> >    * How would you cancel the phase distortion?
>
> For 802.11? I wouldn't.

>From Microwave & RF Design Mag-For Designers At A Higher Frequency

Modeling 802.11a-Based WLAN Systems
<SNIP>

 OFDM offers potential for high-data-rate transmission, it also requires
additional signal processing for synchronization and other auxiliary
receiver(Rx) functions. Some disadvantages of OFDM include
susceptibility to oscillator phase noise and sensitivity to transmission
amplitude/phase distortion.

> >    * How would you deal with avoidance separation?
>
> distributed CCA.

CCA  has nothing to do with "avoidance separation"....

> > Simply  "Co-phasing" antennas does equate to a smart antenna.
>
> I didn't say it did.  I (basically) said that you had the beginnings
> of
> a smart antenna system.  e.g. "You're into smart antenna land."
>
> > Smart antennas employ beam forming, beam switching and selection
> > diversity.
> > Diversity is a system which employs co-phasing as well other
> > techniques.
>
> Well, there is no "co-phasing" in switched diversity, which is what
> you
> were describing.

No,  I said........ "Diversity is a system which employs co-phasing as
well other techniques."
The two sentences were two separate descriptions
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.