Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 13:54:39 -0400
From: Joe Plotkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [nycwireless]  DSL Prime: Verizon Killing WiFi Wants people
        to buy $80 EV-DO
To: nycwireless@lists.nycwireless.net
___

>From the always astute Dave Burstein.

Dave's key observation:
      This action is a very strong implicit
argument for a municipal WiFi build, like
Philadelphia’s, providing basic access to all at
a small price or free.

My concurrence:
To encourage muni wifi (for free public internet
access), I like to use an analogy to public
libraries -- they allow those who cannot afford
to buy books to read them. This does NOT harm
bookstores thru lost sales -- in fact, it helps
them by increasing the number of lifelong readers.

More importantly, free public libraries also
greatly benefit society overall, as they provide
to those who may lack resources today, the
opportunity to access tools they'll need for
their future success.