On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Rob Kelley wrote:

> In fact, I'd like to see a state legislature pass a resolution or law
> __affirming__ the right of local municipalities to set up low-cost
> wireless for their citizens.
I will probably be flamed here to hell and back, however, in my opinion,
muni broadband is completely retarded.

1) This will complete destruction of independent ISPs - one of major
reasons why we get customers is because we are not the incumbent cable or
phone company.

2) At towns with for-fee municipal broadband and independent ISPs -
essentially, my taxes are being used to compete with me. Doesn't anyone
think that this is wrong?

3) Your analogy with library is specious. There is a difference between
book you own and book you borrowed - you can't enjoy book you have
borrowed forever.

4) More correct analogy would be cities running soup kitchens and serving
food to citizens, ones who can and can't afford food alike. That would
doubtless be an honorable thing, however, not something that is considered
reasonable in this country.

5) If cities want to help deployment of wireless broadband, they should
not fight the building of wireless towers.

6) If the concern is about poor people not being able to afford internet,
provide monetary contribution to them, so they can buy access from anyone
else. Or not buy, if the intarweb isn't their thing. But, preserve the
choice of providers.

-alex