Another ...

http://www.hamachi.cc/

There is also a good quick comparison PDF located @ http:// www.infosecwriters.com/texts.php?op=display&id=450 which does include the drawbacks on the Iopus client.

- Jon

On Oct 20, 2006, at 1:19 PM, Dustin Goodwin wrote:

I assume your saying that all shell servers are also VPN providers by assuming that SSH redirection is acceptable. IMHO SSH based port redirect or socks proxy is not really a VPN. By my definition a VPN consists of client software that provides a network driver shim that encrypts all traffic leaving you computer. There is a small group of VPN to Internet to providers that just provide specialized service that provide VPN services from and to the Internet. So that list would be pretty short.

The list so far:
http://www.hotspotvpn.com/
http://wifi.google.com/gsa/faq.html (Free google VPN if your using a Google hotspot)
http://www.jiwire.com/hotspot-helper.htm

- Dustin -

Robin-David Hammond %KB3IEN wrote:

Most ISPs provide this via thier shell servers.

I know from experience that nando.net and bestweb.net had/have a shell servers avail at no additional cost for thier ISP customers. I think this is an essential service for all ISPs to offer, take heed!

No need for an isp? google "unix shell servers".

Most of these vendors will setup whatever proxy you need for a fee.

I think the proposed list would be too huge and basicaly redundant, its not realy worth anyone compiling one. It would be like having a list of 'residential light bulb installers' under 'electricians' in the phone book. Not everyone can install a light bulb true, but all electricians can (i hope).

Maybe we can encourage accesspoint providers to offer such service localy and freely, by standardising this offering we can make it more accessable:

I would suggest providing a standard FQDN for this service perhaps $(AP_HW_ADDR).freeproxy.nycwireless.net. , and a standardised username "proxy:proxy" for ssh logins. The colons would have to be removed from the hardware address, to prevent the parser thinking it a malformed ip6 addy.

This o/c protect's the user from the fellow user, but the AP admin can still see all, but then again, some one some where, always can.