I believe the answer to your question is yes, it is illegal.

Basically the laws here make the unauthorized access of a computer or computer network illegal. While you may not access or attempt to access the host network's computer(s), you are undeniably accessing the network.

So, even if the ethics of stealing bandwidth do not concern you, the illegality should.

KMA

jh wrote:
I really can't seem to find anything definitive, and I'm hoping that someone can answer this:

If I leech bandwidth via Wi-Fi entering my home, and the AP is totally in the clear (i.e., SSID of "linksys" ;) ), is there any case law, convictions, or anything indicating that this is illegal in any manner?

The ethics don't concern me;I'm just trying to find out if this behavior could in any reasonable fashion be defined as "illegal activity" (i.e., criminal act).

Thanks!

jh