On Wed, 2 Jan 2008, jh wrote:

> Kevin M. Agard wrote:
> > I believe the answer to your question is yes, it is illegal.
>
> The question, actually, was: "is there any case law, convictions, or
> anything indicating that this is illegal in any manner?"
>
> IANAL suppositions, while I tend to agree, are not entirely helpful.
>
> The laws that may cover this issue are broad and may not apply; I was
> wondering if there was something more definitive.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piggybacking_(internet_access)
See "United States" section. There are charges and convictions.

I had no idea about New York law, from there: The statute against
unauthorized access only applies when the network "is equipped or
programmed with any device or coding system, a function of which is to
prevent the unauthorized use of said computer or computer system". In
other words, the use of a network would only be illegal if the network
owner had enabled encryption or password protection and the user bypassed
this protection, or when the owner has explicitly given notice that use of
the network is prohibited, either orally or in writing."

Basically, in NY, unless it is forbidden explicitly, it is permitted.

The westchester county thing is crizzazy.