-  -  -  -  -
Overnight migration is huge, birds apparently moving all over...

Saturday, 10 October 2009 - Central Park, Manhattan, N.Y. City

Thanks to Starr Saphir (with her friend Lenore Swenson, & the group on Starr's regular Saturday north end fall migration walk) for finding & tracking the SEDGE Wren there in the morning, a nicely cooperative- enough rare bird that many others later managed to observe and enjoy as well thru the day (with periods of usual skulky-ness as well at times). That wren was the first there in 4 years (& much more cooperative than the last!)

It was a 5-wren-species day in Central Park - the 4 others seen include a Marsh Wren at the edge of the reservoir late in the day, as well as more commonly seen House, Winter & Carolina Wrens. Raptors were on the move today too: at least 2 Bald Eagles went past the park in the afternoon & I just had word of 3 Bald Eagles seen from Fort Tryon Park (northern Manhattan) today. Eventual NW winds brought other diurnal movement as well; over 1,000 Double-crested Cormorants, 200+ Canada Geese, 300+ Brant, & at least 120 Snow Geese. Some Turkey Vultures were moving early in the day. I found 11 warbler species & 8 sparrow spp. (plus towhee and junco). N.B.- a sky-watch was conducted without benefit of the elevational views offered at the castle near Turtle Pond - thus many more birds may have passed over the park than I had tallied.

Sightings today included:

Double-crested Cormorant (many skeins; also on reservoir)
Common Loon (fly-over)
Pied-billed Grebe (1)
Great Blue Heron
Black-crowned Night-Heron
Turkey Vulture (multiple fly-overs)

Snow Goose (120+ evening fly-overs)
Atlantic Brant (300+ fly-overs)
Canada Goose (fly-overs & residents)
Wood Duck (several)
Gadwall
American Black Duck
Mallard
Northern Shoveler (40+)
Green-winged Teal (2, reservoir)
Ruddy Duck (60+)

Osprey (fly-over)
Bald Eagle (2 fly-overs, mid-a.m.)
Northern Harrier (fly-over)
Sharp-shinned Hawk (multiple fly-overs)
Cooper's Hawk (several)
Red-shouldered Hawk (fly-over)
Red-tailed Hawk (several)
American Kestrel (several)
Merlin (fly-over)
Peregrine Falcon (fly-over)

American Coot (reservoir)
Laughing Gull (reservoir)
Ring-billed Gull (mainly on reservoir)
Herring Gull (mainly on reservoir)
Great Black-backed Gull (mainly on reservoir)
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Chimney Swift (1 fly-over)
[Ruby-throated] Hummingbird (2 fly-bys)
Belted Kingfisher
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (4)
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker (1)
Northern {Yellow-shafted] Flicker (many)
Eastern Wood-Pewee (1)
Eastern Phoebe (many)
Great Crested Flycatcher
Blue-headed Vireo (many)
Red-eyed Vireo (2)
Blue Jay
American Crow
Black-capped Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Sedge Wren (Great Hill)
Marsh Wren (1)
Winter Wren (2)
Carolina Wren (several)
House Wren (multiple)
Red-breasted Nuthatch (1)
White-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Eastern Bluebird (3 fly-bys, early a.m.)
Gray-cheeked Thrush (2)
Swainson's Thrush (2)
Hermit Thrush (multiple)
Wood Thrush (1)
American Robin
Gray Catbird (many)
Northern Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing (40+)

Tennessee Warbler (1)
Nashville Warbler (2)
Northern Parula (2)
Magnolia Warbler (1)
Black-throated Blue Warbler (1)
Yellow-rumped Warbler (only common warbler now)
Black-throated Green Warbler (2)
Pine Warbler (1)
Palm Warbler (15+)
Ovenbird (1)
Common Yellowthroat (20+)

Scarlet Tanager (several)

Eastern Towhee (multiple)
Chipping Sparrow (multiple)
Field Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Lincoln's Sparrow (2; additional others seen by others)
Swamp Sparrow (many)
White-throated Sparrow (many)
White-crowned Sparrow (multiple)
Dark-eyed Junco