Yesterday I went to Jones Beach SP(Oct. 10), and found a good assortment of
sparrows with 8 species, including Eastern towhee, tallied.  Merlins, Peregrine
Falcons, Tree Swallows, Eastern Phoebes, and Northern Flickers were profuse
along the barrier beach.  My first-of-the-season Golden-crowned Kinglets,
Red-breasted Nuthatch, and Black Scoter were also seen.  Of the eight species
of sparrows present here are the numbers: 1 Clay-colored sparrow- Coast Guard
station, Swamp sparrow- 5 Coast Guard station, Savannah sparrow- 13 scattered,
Chipping sparrows- too abundant to count, Song sparrow- 6, Lincoln's sparrow- 1
Coast Guard station, and White-throated sparrows.  A total of 4 Merlins were
observed chasing the copious Northern flickers.  3 Peregrine falcons were also
hunting along the median with one passing over me by the Coast Guard station.
5 species of warblers were counted: Pine, Yellow-rumped, Palm, Blackpoll,
and Common
 Yellowthroat.  The Tree swallow numbers were astounding with at least one
thousand fluttering overhead!  It was indeed an impressive, pleasant day.

Vinny Pellegrino
www.flickr.com/pellegrinov
East Northport, NY

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.  Live the life you've
imagined."
-Henry David Thoreau