I spent some time this morning looking over references.

“The Birds of the Western Palearctic” (Volume IV, 208-219) gives lots of detail
on geographical variation in Black Guillemots. According to this work (pp.
218-219), white tips to the secondaries are absent in races other than the
northernmost breeders mandtii and ultimus. This reference lumps ultimus, of
high arctic North America and northwest Greenland, with mandtii, which breeds
through Labrador, northern newfoundland, both coasts of Greenland, Jan Mayen,
Svalbard, Wrangel Island, and Alaska).

It also corroborates the trend toward shortest bills and whitest juvenal and
non-breeding plumages among arctic breeders, reaching an extreme in ultimus.

Sibley’s Arctic birds are depictions of the “mandtii group,” presumably
inclusive of ultimus.

<http://www.sibleyguides.com/about/the-sibley-guide-to-birds/subspecies-names-in-the-sibley-guide-to-birds/>

Sibley depicts the white secondary tips of the Arctic juvs but doesn't make it
completely clear that Atlantic juvs lack them.

For one more bit of the puzzle, I’ve posted a video grab of the Southampton
bird’s underwing pattern in comparison to underwing of an adult
atlantis/arcticus from Massachusetts:

http://picasaweb.google.com/tixbirdz/Various2009#

The Southampton bird matches BWP’s verbal descriptions of mandtii (or even
ultimus), and Sibley’s depictions of the mandtii group, very well indeed.

The fifth edition of the AOU Check-list assigns the birds that typically occur
in our region to the subspecies atlantis, and Sibley names the “atlantis
group,” presumably inclusive of arcticus, as the model for the darker forms he
illustrates.

Regarding the local situation on Long Island and southern New England, I can’t
find any indication that people have proposed that mandtii or ultimus have
occurred here previously. Instead, the various discussions of subspecies
involve debates over whether the southernmost birds (atlantis) are consistently
diagnosable with respect to the widespread arcticus (southern Greenland,
Britain, and Scandinavia), or even with respect to nominate grylle of the
Baltic Sea. For instance, Bull (1964 & 1974) regarded atlantis as poorly
differentiated from arcticus, and Ken Parkes, in his doctoral dissertation,
explained that the main feature distinguishing atlantis from grylle was wing
length, with considerable overlap (pp. 253-255).

To sum up, it seems that the high arctic breeders (mandtii and ultimus) are
very different from more southerly breeders (atlantis, islandicus (Iceland),
faeroeensis (Faeroes), and grylle); and that the widespread catch-all arcticus
(southern Newfoundland, southern Greenland, Britain, Scandinavia) is somewhat
intermediate between the two groups, but decidedly closer to the darker,
longer-billed southern breeders.

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore

Think green before you print this email.