It snowed about 70% of the day but the numbers of gulls were so impressive
that we just could not quit until it was dark.  Betsy and I were delighted
to find Jean Iron at the Adam Beck overlook on our second morning trip
there.  After ogling the 20 or so ICELAND GULLS, about a half-dozen LESSER
BLACK-BACKED GULLS, and one  GLAUCOUS GULL at Beck, we decided to check the
roosting rocks before lunch, hoping to find the California Gull that has
been seen for weeks.  These rocks are about ¼-1/2 mile south of the Adam
Beck overlook.  The gulls will roost on rocks that are on the NY side of the
International boundary at what is known as Devils Hole or rocks on the
Ontario side.  We generally park at the far north end of the Butterfly
Conservatory and walk north about a quarter mile until we see a pair of
whitish wooden fence rails – this is the optimal spot for viewing because
the trees block the view almost everywhere else.

When we arrived we could see that there were many gulls on the rocks on the
NY side.  It did not take Betsy long before she stated that she may have the
California Gull.  It was not the California Gull, however.  It was better
because it was an adult MEW GULL!  We watched the bird for a long time and
even had it flying around below us here feeding and then returning to the
rocks.  The phone calls began and we thank Ron Pittaway and Chris Newton for
posting our sighting so quickly and also Mike Galas for putting it on the
Buffalo one-call-now rare bird alert.

As I said the number of gulls on the river right now are really impressive,
both large and small gulls.  We had 1-2 LITTLE GULLS in the narrow section
of Lewiston-Queenston downriver from the L-Q Bridge.  At the control gates
we only looked very briefly and had 2 GLAUCOUS, 1 LESSER BBG, and a few
ICELAND GULLS amongst enormous numbers of large gulls.  There was a huge
raft of BONAPARTE’S GULLS just above Niagara Falls but we never got a chance
to look them over.  We ended the day at Adam Beck after missing the MEW GULL
at the roosting rocks by minutes (seen by Chris Newton from the NY side).
At Beck we had quite a pale adult LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL and an adult
NELSON’S GULL (Herring – Glaucous hybrid) plus two additional GLAUCOUS GULLS
and a couple of THAYER’S GULLS.  No definite sighting of the California Gull
by us today.

Good birding!
Willie
Willie D'Anna