My Brother and I decided to head out to JB.

Stopped at the CG station where we saw 20-30 Horned larks on the "Longspur" field adjacent to the parking lot. Didn't see any Longspurs this time though. The group of BH cowbirds was still there also.

WE field 2 was closed so we headed to the TR sanctuary where we were rewarded with 2 "Ipswich" Savannah's hanging out in some small shrubs just past the Mens Room. They were very cooperative and we watched them for a good while. There were lots of sparrows foraging near the building. All along the parkways there were sparrows on or just off the road; the small areas that had no snow cover.

We made our obligatory trip to Tobay, which was open (JFK was not) and saw little more than Buffleheads, RB mergansers, C. geese and brandt.

Headed to Twin Lakes Preserve where we saw the usual fare but there were about 8 commom Mergansers which I had not seen there this winter. Usual Fare: Ring necked ducks, Northern Shoveler, Ruddy Ducks, Pie-billed Grebe, Hooded Merganser,GB Heron.

Last stop Massapequa Preserve; Still 2 Tundra Swans among the 4-5 Mute swans. Also saw a pie-billed grebe which I haven't seen there this year.

All in all, not a bad outing

Peter Bookalam
Farmingdale, NY