I'm assuming this is the Upstate RM & not the one onĀ  Long Island...or I am
very confused.:-)----- Original Message -----From: Willie D'Anna and Betsy
Potter Date: Monday, March 15, 2010 1:26 pmSubject: RE: [nysbirds-l] Robert
Moses power plant fishing platformTo: NYSBirds > Everyone,> > > > There was
parking there until 911 and after that they only allowed> handicapped people to
use it.  Everyone else had to park in the > lot above> and walk down which was
a pretty long walk.  When Dean and I saw the> black-headed I suggest that I
drive him down and drop him off > and go back up> and park.  When we got there,
I could see that they were again > allowingparking at the bottom.  So at some
point they changed it > back to the way it> was before 911.  Lucky for us.> > >
> As you say, It's a great spot for getting close looks but it is very>
limited.  You have to hope the bird of interest flies near the > corner of the>
power plant.> > > > Betsy> > > > From: bounce-5432776-3714...@list.cornell.edu>
[mailto:bounce-5432776-3714...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of>
tigge...@aol.com> Sent: Monday, March 15, 2010 12:13 PM> To:
NYSBIRDS-L@cornell.edu> Subject: Re:[nysbirds-l] Robert Moses power plant
fishing platform> > > > The fishing platform referred to by Tom has been closed
this > winter due to> ice build up.  I'm not sure when it is scheduled to
re-open, > some time soon> I would imagine.  > > > > Back in November I found a
Black-headed Gull on the upriver > roosting rocks.> It stood there for hours,
but in the next few days spent most of > its time> flying around that fishing
platform.  Dean DiTomasso got awesome > point-blank> photos of it while
standing on the platform.> > > > Jim Pawlicki and I subsequently spent some
time viewing from the spot.> Looks at close birds are epic, but the spot comes
with its own > set of> viewing vagaries and is probably best used in
conjunction with other> overlooks.> > > > It's not well known because there was
previously no real parking > at the> bottom of the hill, thus effectively
limiting access. The > parking area has> recently been enlarged.> > > > Dave
Wheeler.> > > --> > NYSbirds-L List Info:>
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME>
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES> > ARCHIVES:> 1)
http://www.mail-archive.com/nysbirds-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html> 2)
http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L> > Please submit your