As Ken Feustel noted in his earlier post of today; birding this morning at
Hempstead Lake Park was slow, but as it got warmer the birding picked up
albeit the variety was slim.  Species of note included both Ruby and
Golden-crowned Kinglets, Brown Creeper and an *Orange-crowned Warbler* all
observed by Joan Quinlan, Gurta Fritz, Bobby Kurtz and I.

Over at Jones Beach, Joan, Gurta and I found the Pine Warbler, that was seen
and reported earlier in the day by Ken and Sue Feustel. Additional birds of
note were 2 immature White-crowned Sparrows, a Field Sparrow (seen around
the Coast Guard Station) and a plethora of Eastern Phoebes.  I stopped
counting after 30, but I'm confident that we had well over 50 Phoebes around
the areas we covered.

My last stop was at Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge where I noted a few new
spring arrivals, Tricolored Heron (1), Little Blue Heron (1) and
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (2).  All were seen in the marshes across from
the West Pond Trail before bench 1.  The North and South gardens had both
Golden and Ruby-crowned Kinglets.

Good Spring Birding!
Andrew Baksh
www.birdingdude.blogspot.com